Citrus Chicken Salad
I’ve decided to feature healthful salads this week – now that it’s already Wednesday. Okay, so I’m little late, but I’ll be posting one each day for the next few days. Check back because they all look absolutely delicious!
6 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded, or one 6-ounce package refrigerated cooked chicken breast strips*
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 11-ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained
1/2 cup loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 teaspoons low-sugar or low-calorie orange marmalade
2 teaspoons salad oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Divide chicken between two small resealable freezer bags; freeze overnight.
2. Divide spinach, mandarin oranges, and corn between two airtight storage containers. In a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, mustard, oregano, orange marmalade, oil, salt, and pepper; cover and shake well. Divide dressing mixture between two small resealable plastic bags. Chill salads and dressing overnight.
3. For each serving, pack a salad container, a bag of dressing, and a bag of chicken in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack. Serve within 5 hours.
4. Just before serving, add the dressing and chicken to the spinach mixture. Toss to coat. Makes 2 servings.
5. *Test Kitchen Tip: If using the packaged refrigerated cooked chicken breast strips, omit the 1/8 teaspoon salt from the dressing.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
* Calories 304
* Total Fat (g) 8
* Saturated Fat (g) 2
* Cholesterol (mg) 72
* Sodium (mg) 422
* Carbohydrate (g) 28
* Fiber (g) 3
* Protein (g) 31
* Vitamin A (DV%) 0
* Vitamin C (DV%) 0
* Calcium (DV%) 0
* Iron (DV%) 0
* Starch (d.e.) .5
* Fruit (d.e.) .5
* Other Carbohydrates (d.e.) .5
* Vegetables (d.e.) 1
* Very Lean Meat (d.e.) 4
* Fat (d.e.) 1
Source: Diabetic Living