Cheers for Spears! Asparagus Spears!
Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
Randy Mayor and Iain Bagwell, Text: Jason Horn
This recipe serves eight, but it can be reduced if you wish. I love roasted asparagus. We had them for dinner last night. They were the perfect accompaniment for wild salmon, peach chutney, and red potatoes with butter and parsley. Go easy on the butter for the potatoes and this can be a very healthy meal.
8 servings (serving size: 5 spears)
- 40 asparagus spears, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Grated lemon rind (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°.
Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until tender.
Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Drizzle over asparagus, tossing well to coat. Garnish with cracked pepper and rind, if desired.
- 45 (60% from fat)
- 3g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.2g)
Pinning asparagus spears together with skewers makes them easier to flip and grill evenly on both sides.
4 servings (serving size: 1 asparagus raft)
- 16 thick asparagus spears (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of salt
Prepare grill to high heat.
Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Arrange 4 asparagus spears on a flat surface. Thread 2 (3-inch) skewers or toothpicks horizontally through spears 1 inch from each end to form a raft. Repeat procedure with remaining asparagus spears.
Combine soy sauce, oil, and garlic; brush evenly over asparagus rafts. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds, pepper, and salt.
- 50 (38% from fat)
- 2.1g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.6g)